The apparently never ending cashmere coat saga continues! But is, thank heavens, nearing completion.
So after all the interfacing-ripping and re-steaming and shaping, I found that the upper side panel (above the dart) was now waving... ARGH. This is *probably* because of being overworked and now under-supported, so I decided to do what I probably should have done all along: hand-baste horsehair canvas to the section. This is the first time I've ever done it, and I was skeptical that the stitches wouldn't show on the right side, but turns out it isn't that hard. I followed my trusty Singer tailoring book, and the result is fine (I know it isn't perfect!).
The benefit to this is that it's now more stable, and the canvas takes a curve much better than the cashmere so it better for shaping. It's still not 100% perfect on the right side but I'm really, really hoping that a professional pressing at the end will smooth everything out.
Next up, I started the hem - I'm following Emma One Sock's lining bagging tutorial (which involves hand setting the sleeves), and I started by gently pressing the hem up (with 1/2 inch of canvas extending beyond the fold to get a soft fold), basting it down with silk thread, and then hand blind stitching it down about 3/4 inch from the raw edge.
The next stage is completing the backs of the bound buttonholes, and then bagging the lining... and then done! Sadly, I'm traveling for work a bunch at the moment but I'm hoping that by the end of November it should all be done, just in time for the weather to be too cold to wear it... Oops! I will just have to swan around inside in it instead.