First up: bound buttonholes. Once again I used Karen's Bound Buttonhole eBook which is essential reading: so easy to follow! Such nice results! I love bound buttonholes - I was never even aware of them before I started sewing, but now they're the kind of craftsmanship that I notice and appreciate on garments, and they're actually pretty easy once you've practiced a few times. The key trick is sewing the two parallel lines *precisely* the same length, which means not just sewing to your chalk line, but sewing to the same *side* of the chalk line. While I'm not the most accurate sewist, I'm getting better at this.
The interfaced cashmere also took the buttonholes really well. Of course, I did manage (despite doing a test buttonhole) to initially sew the welts onto the *wrong* side of the fabric as opposed to the right side of the fabric, as I did the last time I made a coat. But luckily it was caught before too much irreversible slashing had happened, and I was able to do a rescue.
The finished things, basted shut (which is why they look a little hairy)
Then, I constructed the back pieces, being really careful to follow proper pressing etiquette, most crucially leaving each seam to entirely cool under a clapper before moving onto the next bit. I tried to be industrious and start doing other sections during the process...
Then, I attached the facings to the lining, and just for kicks, decided to understitch the seam allowance down with coral thread to match the flamingos' beaks. And why not.
Those bits done, I did a bit of tailoring on the lapel collar, fell stitching twill tape along the edges (and also along the lapel edge of the coat facing too) to hopefully get a crisp result on the final collar. I haven't done this before so fingers crossed I did it correctly, especially as it took ages.
So, quite a bit of progress but join me again soon for an unfortunate turn of events... DRAMA!