August 25, 2014

The last skirts of summer

Summer seems to have already started winding down in Boston, and while I’m looking forward to the renewed appearance of tights in my wardrobe (I LOVE TIGHTS), I have been feeling a touch sad. So when it suddenly brightened up this weekend, Nina and I got out of town pronto.
And of course I had to have a new outfit for the occasion.
Enter: another McCalls M6931 and a trusty Renfrew!
McCalls M6931 and Sewaholic Renfrew
The fabulous skirt fabric is Marc Jacobs silk twill which I snapped up from my virtual sewing buddy Charlotte’s stash when she started selling it off on Instagram. I have been visiting it at night and cooing gently to it, but decided it was time for it to finally make it onto my body. Other ladies with extremely good taste have also indulged, so I feel in esteemed company.
Have I said how much I love silk twill? I really do. I always thought silk was flimsy and hard to sew and clingy on the body, but silk twill and faille give you all the wonders of silk with none of the flimsy hard-to-weared-ness. Delicious.
Also: silk elasticated waist skirts. This is the third I’ve made one in as many weeks, and it is, dear friends, the way forward. The insides were french seamed, and the hem blind stitched by hand (which I can report takes exactly one episode of Project Runway, during which the contestants make a full length ballgown).
The top is super simple – just a Renfrew with the neckline more scooped out (quelle surprise), and three quarter length sleeves with cuff bands. For the neckline I stuck wonder tape to the wrong side, folded over, and coverstitched. Easy peasy. I used Robert Kaufmann Laguna Jersey which is a total dream to sew with and wear… expect to see more of that around these parts.
For our little expedition, Nina and I headed out to the World’s End park in Hingham, which is about 15 miles south of Boston. It’s a really magical place: it was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead (also see: Central Park), and has winding tree-lined carriageways looping over hobbit-like little islands jutting out into Boston harbour. I definitely have to have a birthday picnic there one year…

From the top of the hill you can see Boston on the horizon!

I’m super pleased with another colourful, comfortable and unusual little ensemble, and expect to make more separates with this silhouette in the future. Only thing is, I may become actually allergic to waistbands, and then there’ll be no helping me. But fear not, dear readers, I shall take the risk just for you.

15 Responses to The last skirts of summer

1. sewprettyinpink August 25, 2014 at 6:56 am #

Oh my! I love the skirt fabric. I’d be cuddling it and saying, “My Precious.” So very pretty. Great outfit!

• Jenny August 25, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Thanks! Isn’t it gorgeous?! Not surprising that so many sewers have snapped it up 🙂

2. Basya Spiliakos August 25, 2014 at 7:59 am #

Simply beautiful! I’d never have thought to use silk twill for a skirt. I’ve made scarves with it. A skirt? I must buy more silk twill the next time I visit Mood.

• Jenny August 25, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Definitely do it! I love silk twill and faille for skirts

3. gingermakes.com August 25, 2014 at 9:16 am #

Oh man, I love this fabric so much! It’s just so, so, so, so happy! I’m so glad you have some! This looks so cute on you!!!

• Jenny August 25, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Hurray, twinsies!

4. Janet August 25, 2014 at 11:50 am #

You always look gorgeous. BTW did you know that the fall Burda catalogue has increased their sizes in some of their styles.

• Jenny August 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Oh interesting, I’ll have to check it out! I have my first ever Burda pattern traced and cut out…

5. Katie August 25, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Lovely skirt, and another gorgeous location. Is silk twill like tie fabric?

• Jenny August 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Thanks Katie! It’s a little like tie fabric, but lighter. It’s very similar to silk faille if you’ve ever felt that?

6. Justine of SewCountryChick August 25, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

Love the ensemble!

• Jenny August 26, 2014 at 7:41 am #

Thanks Justine! I think I’ll be sewing up more of these in the future as it’s so easy to wear.

7. seamsandfinishes.com August 26, 2014 at 7:31 am #

A lovely outfit! I like the pairing of the navy Renfrew with the vivid skirt fabric. The colors are exciting! BTW, before I read the text of your post, I looked at the pictures first and thought I recognized World’s End as your location! You did some serious walking & hill climbing, too!

• Jenny August 26, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Thanks! Funny that you recognized the location – isn’t it amazing?! I discovered it a few years ago when a friend took me there, and now it’s a regular spot to visit when I have people visiting.

1. Tried and True pattern: McCall’s M6931 skirt - April 2, 2015