Believe it or not, I’ve never owned a shirtdress before. RTW ones were always out of the question: no stores carry shirtdresses that fit my bust and waist, let alone not gape between the buttons. For some reason, they then got relegated to the “items of clothing that will never suit me” mental category (see also: trousers, blazers).
How foolish I was!
This creation, McCall’s 6506, came about due to the confluence of two events: firstly, my dear sewing friend Laney managed to accidentally order the pattern in the wrong size for her… but the right size for me, goddamit! Being the generous soul that I am, I took it off her hands. It still sat in the stash for a while though.. until Mary’s autumn of 1,000 shirt dresses. I mean, look at that lady! I figured I’d give it a whirl.
The pattern generally went together quickly but I have a total mare with the buttonholes. My parents generously gave me a new Bernina 580 for my birthday, and despite lovely features like auto thread cutting and a knee lift presser foot, the buttonhole has been on the fritz since I bought it. I ended up having to get my old Brother out of the cupboard to do them (less pretty buttonholes but at least I *get* buttonholes) after ripping out so many that the placket was getting properly damaged. So much for the “perfect Bernina” reputation… Unfortunately it’s a 3 hour round trip to my Bernina dealer, and I’ve already been once for a “fix” which didn’t work, and now I have to find time to go again. If they can’t fix it this time I’m going to be climbing the walls.
And in the honeycomb-like massive windows that overlook the boats… (this was taken furtively while watching for security guards – I’m such a rebel, me)