My goodness, that was an epic project. I started off foolishly thinking it would be fairly straightforward, because I used the same pattern, Simplicity 1759, as I did for the my coat last year which turned out really well. However, there were two major things I didn’t account for: the difference that a different fabric would make (cashmere vs. wool boucle), and the different collar variation – last time I drafted my own big collar, this time I went with view B, which is a sort of standing collar which angles in to the neck.
My many coat-in-progress posts (see them all here!) documented the trials and tribulations I had with the construction… But I managed to perservere with help from the lovely sewing community, and with the exception of some slightly wavy upper right bodice seams the end result was pretty decent.
But, let’s move onto the elephant in the room. Did you notice that so far all the photos are of the coat undone? Yep, that’s not a coincidence.
I’m not sure if these photos do it justice but it looks really, really bad done up in person. As in: friends said to me “Oh, I’m sure it doesn’t actually look as bad as you think!” and then they saw it and went “ah, well, I bet you learned a lot!” *sheepish face*.
Of course, we all have wadders from time to time. I won’t deny that it smarts to have a wadder be something where you invested in the fabric and in so much time sewing and re-sewing, but there you go, such is life. I’m not sure that it’s really salvageable because ultimately, the shape just doesn’t suit me – I think it’s mostly the collar and the button positioning (which I can’t change due to bound buttonholes…) – but others think it’s too big around the hips, so let’s face it, it all round doesn’t suit me.
Sigh. Let’s review the things that did work out OK!
The actual collar is kind of fun, even if it doesn’t suit me.
Probably my best bound buttonholes to date (thanks again, Karen!)
- Always make a full muslin of something you’re going to make with expensive fabric – even if you’re just doing a variation of something that worked for you before
- Always test the interfacing / fabric combination first before you interface the whole thing – it turned out that the combo of my cashmere and proweft interfacing refused to go around curves and therefore had to be ripped out
- Block fusing sometimes works… and sometimes doesn’t.