November 23, 2015

Tilly Arielle skirt hack!

I’m not generally one for trends; I know what suits my figure, and most “fashions” are woefully not good on me. But, when I was in London recently I saw a trend that caught my eye: asymmetric wrap skirts with D-ring closures. So instead of dropping 300 quid at Reiss, I made my own, using the Tilly & The Buttons Arielle skirt!

Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

Here’s the style I saw everywhere on the high street. I did a bit of inspecting and realised it would pretty easy to recreate. Plus, I had the perfect plaid to use, which I also bought in London (clearly my roots are showing a lot at the moment).

skirt inspiration

After discovering there are no patterns out at the moment that are much like this (wrap, pencil skirt shape, high waisted and faced with no waistband), I decided to use the Tilly & The Buttons Arielle skirt as my base, and work from there. Arielle fans will notice my mistake immediately: despite appearances, it’s not a wrap skirt. Oops! But I was still able to use it, just with a bit more alteration than I expected. The key changes were:

• I used the right hand side (wider) piece for both fronts, and didn’t use the left side
  • Shaved a big wedge off the side seam of one right front piece, so it would angle down. I kept the piece on the grain so the plaid would follow the diagonal.
  • Made the same changes on the lining and facing pieces.
  • I didn’t sew the darts on the front over-layer so it would hang straight.
  • Added an internal button to hold the underlayer closed at the waist.
  • Inserted a piece of grosgrain ribbon into the right side seam, about 3 inches down.
  • Strung two D-rings onto another piece of grosgrain and sandwiched it in the front wrap between the skirt and facing.

(Is anyone interested in a tutorial? Not sure if it’s just super obvious or whether you’d like step-by-step instructions!)
Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

Here are my D-rings! The combo of these rings plus the grosgrain unfortunately means it doesn’t stay held just through tension, so I have to put a little knot just behind the rings to avoid flashing. Yes, I did flash before I realised this. You’re welcome, strangers of Boston.

Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

On the inside I used this highly jolly raspberry Radiance lining! Forgive the creases – this was after wearing it all day.

Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

Though it was muchly hacked, I do like the fit of the skirt. However, I wonder if it runs a bit big – I made the size 18 despite the fact my waist is 3 inches too big, and it works well!

Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

So now I have an ON TREND skirt to wear in winter. How long before I get stopped by a street fashion photographer for being so ON TREND? Only a matter of time, I’m sure.

Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt

Are you a trend follower? Or even a trend-setter?! Are there any other non-heinous fall/winter trends I should try?

44 Responses to Tilly Arielle skirt hack!

1. Meg November 23, 2015 at 8:15 am #

Great hack!! I had good luck with Arielle. This reminds me I should make another. Or perhaps totally copy your hack.

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:01 pm #

Thanks Meg! Yes the waist/hip fit seems to be really good on me, so I might make another wool one, maybe with the buttons this time

2. Katie November 23, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Very cool, love the look of this!

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:02 pm #

Cheers Katie! Very London-taaaahnnn in my mind 🙂

3. Jo H November 23, 2015 at 9:29 am #

I love this!! Was totally not aware of that trend at all, but will definitely be doing this! Especially love it with trainers in that second pic. I guess it would work with any pencil skirt pattern, right? Just cutting two (narrowed down?) front pieces and overlapping. Hmm, some experimenting to do!

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:02 pm #

Yes I think you could adapt any pencil/straight pattern to do it!

4. Carolyn November 23, 2015 at 9:38 am #

Love what you did here! This looks fabulous on you!

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks Carolyn! It was pretty easy but I think it was effective.

5. Heather November 23, 2015 at 9:41 am #

Love this! A tutorial would be great!

6. Holly November 23, 2015 at 10:43 am #

I’d like to see a tutorial. The only part I’m having trouble picturing is cutting the wedge out of the front on the diagonal, doing the same with the facing, then attaching it so it falls at a slight angle.
    Thanks for doing this. I’ve been waiting to see your skirt. Looks great!

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

Yes that took a few minutes to think through but it’s quite easy once you know how! I’ll work on a tutorial.

7. thatcurlyhairedgirl November 23, 2015 at 10:48 am #

Where are your boots from? They are great.

• Jenny Rushmore November 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm #

They’re from DuoBoots, who are now known as Ted & Muffy. They come in calf sizes!

8. Lori November 23, 2015 at 12:05 pm #

That is a great hack of the skirt, it looks fabulous.

9. PsychicKathleen November 23, 2015 at 12:08 pm #

Beautiful skirt on you! Love the bright blue plaid and how you’ve so perfectly set it off with those great boots!

10. Nita November 23, 2015 at 12:14 pm #

I love the idea of the D-ring closure on a wrap skirt, maybe even a row of three runnung down the top third of the side to hold the skirt closed…but I don’t care for the crooked look. For me, I’d have the sides even.

11. Nita November 23, 2015 at 12:16 pm #

Oh, and I’d love a d ring tutorial!

12. Lynn November 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm #

Oh my gosh. I absolutely love that skirt. A step by step tutorial would be great

13. erniek3 November 23, 2015 at 1:09 pm #

This is why we sew: I see something I like, and I know I can make it, to suit me, in something I like, for a tenth? of the original cost. That said, for my money the width of the ribbon and d-rings should be increased. Just looking at the original skirt, it’s much larger relative to the whole object. It’s just not reading on the blue plaid. And it’s a super easy adjustment. But that’s me: go big or go home.

14. Toni November 23, 2015 at 2:25 pm #

Oh my my my! I would love a tutorial. I love that look girl!

15. Charlotte November 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm #

Gorgeous! Great hack & that wool is beautiful x

16. Marjie November 23, 2015 at 6:29 pm #

I’m so glad you aren’t wearing sneakers with yours; the boots are a much better look. And I love the raspberry lining; it’s your own cheerful secret touch!

17. Heather November 24, 2015 at 7:42 am #

What a fantastic hack! And your plaid matching is spot on! I love it!

18. Rebecca @ Pattydoo November 24, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Looks great! I prefer yours to the original 😉

19. Barb Nicoll November 24, 2015 at 2:45 pm #

I LOVE this skirt! It reminds me of a kilt. The wool is just gorgeous, too. I vote for a tutorial!!

20. BGM59 November 25, 2015 at 9:33 am #

Que tu es jolie! J’adore ta jupe! Bravo! Béné

21. Christina November 25, 2015 at 4:16 pm #

How timely! I have Seamwork Osaka pattern cut out and was just trying to figure fabric. This is a lovely hack!

22. Emma Gedge November 25, 2015 at 4:35 pm #

You are in my head! I’ve been looking for an asymmetric wrap skirt pattern for the last three days to make the bottom half of a tunic with some stretch flannel I’ve got! Thank you, I hadn’t thought of doing it this way…

23. Stephanie Costello November 26, 2015 at 7:59 am #

Love love this. Tutorial please please. Very creative and clever xx

24. Kelly K November 28, 2015 at 8:48 am #

Love this skirt!!! It looks fabulous on you as well. Please, please, please a tutorial!!

25. runningcuzican December 1, 2015 at 10:01 am #

So cute!

26. verov94 December 16, 2015 at 11:38 am #

Bonjour,
    Je serais intéressée par ce modèle de jupe longue.
    Y a t il un patron? si oui comment l’obtenir?
    Merci de votre réponse.
    Bonne soirée de France

• Jenny Rushmore December 16, 2015 at 9:26 pm #

Bonjour Veronique – c’est la jupe Arielle de Tilly & The Buttons: ici. Bon chance!

27. Mickey Newmsn January 2, 2016 at 1:23 pm #

It looks great on you. Would love a tutorial.

28. Penguin & Pear April 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm #

Very nice! I would definitely be interested in a tutorial!

29. naterjane August 10, 2016 at 7:25 pm #

What a lovely skirt. I try to make a wrap skirt this week unfortunately it ended up being a bit to small. 🙁 But yours look lovely.

30. Deborah Martin September 10, 2016 at 9:51 pm #

This skirt is beautiful! Have you found any patterns since making this that are closer to the original?

1. Arielle, the human world… it’s a mess | Stuff I have made - March 15, 2016

[…] while you’re sewing it up. I’ve got one in green wool planned, plus pencil/kilt version like the one Jenny from Cashmerette did a few months ago – just need to locate some kilt buckles. I’ve even got all the fabric […]

2. Curvy Sewn: Your Creations for December - June 4, 2016

[…] Kimono Tee & self-drafted skirt by Craftastrophies; Tilly & the Buttons Arielle Skirt Hack by Cashmerette; Knipmode A-line skirt by Foxgloves and Thimbles; Self-drafted pleated skirt by […]