March 7, 2016

Guide to Plus Size Sewing Pattern Sizes – updated!

Hi lovely readers! I realized it had been quite a while since I last compiled a list of plus size sewing pattern sizes, and quite a lot’s happened since then in the world of plus size sewing, not least the launch of my own pattern company Cashmerette Patterns in sizes 12 – 28 and cup sizes C – H, and the expansion of several other brands into larger sizes! While there’s still a long way to go, I am really pleased to see that there are significantly more options available these days to plus size and curvy sewists.

As there’s so much variation between brands though,  I compiled this new guide so you can see at a glance which sewing patterns will fit you. Of course, you can always adjust a pattern to fit, but let’s face it, it’s so much easier to start with a pattern in your rough size first.

Guide to Sewing Pattern Sizes-01

The chart below pulls together the 14+ (US, equivalent to 18+ UK) sizing of the major pattern labels, and also shows the cup size they draft for (where that info is available!). One tricky thing doing this is that everyone’s sizing is a little different, and some of the patterns use XL – 2XL – 3XL or other schema, so what I’ve done is put it all into a grid using US sizing which allows you to compare. However, when you sew it’s always best to choose your size based on your measurement and not your regular clothes size – this chart definitely underlines that fact! Given the variability, I’ve used the largest bust size as the way to order the list.

Hopefully you’re able to discover a few new brands that will fit you here – and I also hope it encourages some of the brands that are only on the smaller end to consider expanding their range!

(Click on the image, and then on the top right button to enlarge)

Plus Size Sewing Pattern Sizes

*indicates only select patterns available in this sizing.

I hope you found this guide to plus size sewing pattern sizes helpful! Have you tried many of these pattern companies? Are there any others that you think should be added to the list?

36 Responses to Guide to Plus Size Sewing Pattern Sizes – updated!

1. Rachel March 7, 2016 at 8:15 am #

Thank you for this, Jenny. This is so helpful. I’m just about to tackle my first Knipmode pattern, which if I’m reading it correctly goes up to a 54″bust; my Dutch is non existent, but I’m making use of the Dutch/English sewing glossary that Mary mentioned in her blog about Knipmode.
    Obviously, I’m just marking time until the next Cashmerette pattern appears 😉

• Marianne March 7, 2016 at 9:47 am #

Hi Rachel! Since the restyling in september 2015 all Knipmode patterns go up to a 51.5″/131 cm bust.

• Rachel March 7, 2016 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Marianne…..I’ll take a closer look!

2. Deborah March 7, 2016 at 8:54 am #

This is great. Thanks for doing it. I think there might be a small transposition error on the hip size on Deer and Doe.

3. Frau Leo March 7, 2016 at 9:38 am #

Knowing which cup size the patterns are drafted for is super helpfull!

4. PsychicKathleen March 7, 2016 at 10:03 am #

You are always so helpful Jenny! I would also recommend people check out Silouette patterns – although she’s not drafting for large sizes she does offer some lovely patterns and goes up to a D bust.

5. Marianne March 7, 2016 at 10:11 am #

Nice overview, Jenny! The only thing I can think of that could be added as relevant information is height. Like SBCC is drafted for petites, Sewaholic for 5’4″, Burda 5’6″, Knipmode 5’8″. Sometimes this information is hard to find!

• Jenny Rushmore March 7, 2016 at 11:55 am #

That’s a good idea! It can be hard to find that info, as most brands don’t tend to mention it, though I noticed that Muse Patterns are for 5’10”. (For what it’s worth, Cashmerette Patterns are for 5’6″!)

• Marianne March 7, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks, good to know!

• Mary in AZ March 7, 2016 at 5:22 pm #

I think it’s more important to know the back length from the neck to waist than it is to now the height. I am 5’8″ and cannot just add on 2″ to the length of a garment to make it fit. The adjustment comes in the back length. Once I make that adjustment, the length of the garment usually works out with my height.

• Tracey September 27, 2016 at 5:59 pm #

I agree with Mary. I’m 5’9 and have to add 2 or 3 inches into the bodice length in addition to skirt and leg lengths. I usually have to move bust darts down an inch or two as well

6. Megan @ TheGreenViolet March 7, 2016 at 10:38 am #

Great table! I think you have typo on the Deer and Doe hip size (their size range is small but not THAT small ;)). I am pear shaped so I was scanning though the largest hip sizes available for all the pattern companies. It really has come a long way in the last year or so!

• Jenny Rushmore March 7, 2016 at 11:56 am #

Corrected! And yes it’s great isn’t it ,how much progress there has been!

7. Rachel March 7, 2016 at 10:43 am #

Thank you this is so helpful to us newbies. I may be able to avoid an FBA a little longer!

8. Mags March 7, 2016 at 11:08 am #

Thanks for this! It is really nice to know that there are pattern companies I could buy from that actually have my size.

I think that the larger sizes of Colette patterns are drafted for a DD cup instead of a C, starting from the size 20.

• Jenny Rushmore March 7, 2016 at 3:38 pm #

Thanks Mags! I checked with Sarai and they’re for a D cup from size 20 up – I’ve updated the chart.

9. Loganstitches March 7, 2016 at 8:45 pm #

It’s great to have this all in one place, particularly with the cup size included. Thanks for putting this together.

10. Caitlin March 7, 2016 at 9:16 pm #

See Kate Sew now has some of her patterns in plus sizes. Though she only goes up to 3XL and I’m not sure what that is equivalent to.

11. Carolyn March 7, 2016 at 9:39 pm #

Jenny – I’m so glad that you updated this and reposted! It’s a great guide and allows us plus size sewists to know which pattern lines work for us!

12. Debbie Jones March 8, 2016 at 6:36 am #

Thanks so much for all of your work on this Jenny, it is a brilliant reference and will really help me decide which pattern companies will suit my size and shape.
    Debbie

13. Marina McPherson March 9, 2016 at 7:42 am #

I am confused as to why the pattern companies persist in making patterns for B/C cup size as the average womans cup size here in Britain is now a DD.

• Jenny Rushmore March 9, 2016 at 10:13 pm #

It is a mystery! And the reason I ended up setting up my own line 🙂

14. Kimberli Simon March 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm #

I am ‘single commenting’ on double posts! Thank you for the women’s sized pattern info and even more importantly for the dress form resources. Both of my forms are from before I had children and I have been searching for a long time for a mannequin that mimics my form now. It’s hard to tweak a garment’s fit when the only alternative to a live model is a 6’4″ teenaged boy. I hope to start posting my own creations soon…

15. fzillion manager March 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm #

Nice blog keep it up .
    plus size cocktail dresses

16. Stephanie at Creative + Mindful March 16, 2016 at 6:25 pm #

Thanks for this reference Jenny! And I loved your Field Guide in the current Seamwork – made me giggle and nod in agreement. 🙂

17. Kai M. March 16, 2016 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks so much for this guide. Iʻm just beginning to sew from pdf patterns and wondered why I couldnʻt get the fit on some of them correct. This explains a lot. Again, thanks!

18. Jillishness March 17, 2016 at 7:03 am #

Another one to add would be ottobre design. Like Burda, they have 2 womens issues a year. I found the size chart to correspond to the magazines here on their blog: http://ottobredesign.blogspot.com/2012/03/womens-size-chart-in-inches.html

19. Ronda Bowen April 11, 2016 at 12:50 am #

Patterns for Pirates, Love Notions, Everything Your Mother Made, Made for Mermaids, Sofilantjes, Bella Sunshine Designs, and Peekaboo Patterns all go up to plus sizes as well. (As does Stitch Upon a Time, and a few others I’m not thinking of at the moment).

20. prolificprojectstarter May 9, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

I just made a Itch to Stitch Mila shirt and although the sizing only went up to US 20, it’s seperately drafted for A, B, C, D and DD cup sizes, which is great. The drafting and instructions are top notch too.

21. keziamara September 5, 2016 at 7:59 pm #

As a sewer in the size 32 range with c cup and still has to grade up (a lot) in belly and bum this chart was disheartening.

• keziamara June 5, 2017 at 3:39 am #

I agree, they forget the curves on the bottom!

22. EB September 6, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

Thanks for this! What about Sis Boom? They have some pretty patterns but I haven’t made them yet. Trying to discern what their cup sizes are. 🙂

23. keziamara June 5, 2017 at 3:38 am #

I notice that the Connie Crawford line is missing which covers more really big sizes than these. Some of us are more curvy on the bottom.