I was a bit lazy so I didn’t take photos of each stage, but basically: I cut out these pieces in different colours I had lying about (including the Cliff fabric which has a very distinctive pattern on) and then sewed it together, starting in the centre, sewing the shorter sides on first and then the longer sides. Basically, building up the square on all sides.
And the real result: Mum was very pleased.
Then, you trim them down to size (thus discovering how incredibly innacurate I was when originally cutting out the fabric.. thank goodness for second steps), iron out the seams, and arrange them in a pretty pattern:
And then, more sewing, this time putting blocks together two at a time. This was a bit tricker than it looked because you had to match the seams up and some of my blocks were, er, a bit wonky.
But I’m quite pleased by how it came out in the end: