Ipswich Swimsuit Printed Pattern
I planned the "tankini" version of the suit, in one fabric. I make my own bras, so I used my own custom fitted bra pattern.
I had no trouble with the pattern or instructions but for 1 minor thing.. There is no indication of the pattern piece number on the cutting layouts. With so many similar shapes, I think it would have been better to make these graphics bigger and print the pattern piece numbers in the layout. I spent a lot of time going over the pattern inventory and studying everything and labelling each piece on the layout myself. Also, with the tankini download, I was a little uncertain re what pattern pieces to use since some places use view A and some view B and there was no indication for cutting except for the "contrast" fabric.
The top just doesn't work. Even though I made a complete custom fitted underwire bra there is no support through the back to lift and the spandex overlay just squashes me flat to a uni-boob. With 9" difference between my under bust & full bust, a flat spandex front doesn't work. The princess seams add no shaping. This will never be good enough to wear in public.
I'm going to keep the bottoms, cannibalize the skirt to make a real bra with a supportive band & hook/eye covered in spandex, and use leftover yardage for an A-line "skirt" to drape down over the hip w/ an open "apron" back where the hook/eye are.
Hi Susan - I'm sorry to hear the top of the Ipswich didn't work for you. It's designed to work with the underwired bra included in the pattern which includes back support; as you replaced that with your own bra pattern, it's hard to say exactly why it doesn't fit. If you want to share your measurements with us at firstname.lastname@example.org we can help you find a better size that won't compress your bust.
Took a trip to Hawaii and needed a bathing suit. I hacked it into the tankini. It was amazing. The instructions were perfect step by step. Even though I am a seasoned seamstress, the inner branwas intimidating but I was confident with the instructions. I actually made two swimsuits and they were exactly what I wanted!
I needed a new swimsuit that would look nice and hold up well for snorkeling and swimming on a cruise to the Caribbean. I bought the Ipswitch kit and sewed it up in a weekend. The suit fits very well - I made a 14 G/H.
I really enjoyed making this pattern. The thought of making my own swimsuit seemed impossible but having a pattern *somewhere* close to my personal measurements made it seem doable. I had to blend between three sizes - which over the number of pieces this pattern has wasn't a small task but I'm really pleased with the finished product. Although I also ended up hacking the pattern to make a more streamlined one piece by merging most of the back and front pieces. Two small issues with the instructions - the pattern didn't relate which bits I could leave out for the optional bra (this would have been really useful at the start of the instructions) and I also found the steps covering how the scoop under the bra strap was finished really confusing. I thought the finish on the inside could have been a bit more concealed - so I plan on figuring out something for the next version. Looking forward to making it again (this time with the bra - which is a whole other world of pushing my sewing skills!). And really happy I purchased the pattern - thank you!
Never thought of making a swimsuit and now I so love the pattern, only wish I could buy the kits, but postage to UK is more than the kits sometimes :-( looking forward to new patterns, a big thank from curvy girl Rose