August 11, 2014

The one in which I wear a crop top

I’ve previously stated around these here parts that the skill of sewing has helped me learn that anything can look good on anyone… with one exception made, for bare midriffs.
And yet here we are.

Brace yourself, dear readers. Are you sitting down? Do you have a nice sugary cup of tea on hand?

Then, let me present…..

Β A NEON ORANGE GOLD LAME BIAS TRIMMED CROP TOP

Yep.

Well. What can I say? I wore it in public. Also, the new “sliver of flesh” crop top style, well north of the tummy button and just south of the bra strap is undoubtedly a lot more pleasing than the sub-tummy button pelvic baring of the late 80s (which, I hasten to add, I didn’t indulge in). It pairs pleasingly with the stripy Britex maxi skirt I made back in midwinter for my Mexican sojourn. If you think my stomach looks surprisingly tanned for a pasty Scot who never wears a bikini, then let’s just thank Sally Hansen and move swiftly on.

I was inspired by my curvy fashion idol Gabi Gregg who regularly gets her south-of-the-bra-strap area (SOTBSA?) out, and looks fabulous doing it. While I am not convinced that I am quite as fabulous as her, I’m willing to concede it’s not too bad!

Source: GabiFresh

The material is a fantastic textured orange cotton I got from MetroTextiles in NYC earlier this year, bought while the spirit of OonaBalloona was whispering in my ear. Β In case you want to make your own… first, you need to take a good hard look in the mirror and decide if you want a neon orange crop top. You do? SUPER DUPER. Then, it’s a Colette Sorbetto, without the front pleat, hacked off halfway down. Simple. It took me ages to adapt the Sorbetto to fit (potentially was not the best base for busty novice Cashmerette, but she was naive in those days) so now it does, it’s the block for all my woven tops.

So apparently I have overcome my final style boundary! The possibilities are now limitless! I can pose in front of large murals to my heart’s content!
What have you sewn and worn that challenged your fashion boundaries? Has anyone laughed at you in the street? Will you come and join me in this absurdity? Go on, it’ll be fun.

47 Responses to The one in which I wear a crop top

1. Laurwyn August 11, 2014 at 7:17 am #

When you write “Thank Sally Hansen”, I thought at first it was a person πŸ™‚
    The crop top looks really nice with the skirt, it’s all about the proportions! It must feel so nice on warm days! Let’s hope the summer lasts a bit longer (here after 2 months of warmth, we now have a lot of rain)

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Ha ha Sally Hansen is a nice lady who makes my tummy temporarily tanned πŸ™‚
      It was very bizarre to have the breeze on my tummy… not entirely sure it’ll become a regular thing, but it’s nice to have some on-trend options!

2. Annika August 11, 2014 at 7:21 am #

You look fabulous! And that last pic is so cool!

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Thanks very much Annika!

3. sewprettyinpink August 11, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Awesome! You look amazing. I keep thinking I might try a crop top…. So many curvy chicks are rocking this look. <3

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Yeah! Curvy ladies in crop tops FTW!

4. Heather Lou August 11, 2014 at 7:58 am #

Whatta babe. I love a crop top and you are workin’ this one!

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:04 am #

Ah, you’re making me blush πŸ™‚

5. TresBienEnsemble August 11, 2014 at 8:30 am #

ROCK IT! You look awesome in this outfit. I love the ‘ribdriff” trend. I think it’s much more wearable than midriff.

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Ribdriff, LOVE IT!

6. Brittani August 11, 2014 at 8:53 am #

So cute!! I hope this trend is still around next summer, I think I’ve missed the boat this year…

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:05 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:05 am #

It’s super fast to make, so you could still rock it this season!

7. Sophie-Lee August 11, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Yes this is amazing – and you look amazing. I’m totally copying you (and Gabi Gregg) this summer when it gets warm enough! Particularly with a crop top that matches my skirt

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Thanks Soph! Yes I like the matching two-piece look, though I haven’t quite got there yet…

8. Megan August 11, 2014 at 9:42 am #

awesome summer outfit! I don’t think i’ll be rocking the crop top anytime soon, but I agree its fun to push the fashion boundaries! If I can ever get the bombshell swimsuit down (thanks for the post on grading, btw), I might venture into a bikini that has about a 2 inch gap between the top and bottom. and I certainly would have never considered wear a bikini before I started sewing!

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Ooh yes I like those bikinis too. My bombshell photos are to follow shortly πŸ™‚

9. gingermakes.com August 11, 2014 at 9:56 am #

GIRL. OMG. You look A) hot, B) happy, and C) super fashion blogger chic.

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:06 am #

A) thank B) you C) Sonja!

10. Heather August 11, 2014 at 9:59 am #

You look so cool and summery, and dare I say sexy! I love the new crop top trend and I think baring that little sliver of skin looks amazing – and yet I am terrified to try it. You are definitely inspiring me.

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 10:07 am #

You can say it, but I’ll be here embarrassed in the corner πŸ™‚

11. sparkleneedles August 11, 2014 at 10:49 am #

Swit swoo! You look awesome: you have a fine SOTBSA and the colours are gorgeous too. I’m inspired!

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Thanks Rosie! I’ll have to add “good SOTBSA” to my personal curvy confidence list πŸ˜‰

12. Debbie Iles August 11, 2014 at 11:32 am #

Totally fabulous! You are rocking that top, and that skirt and those colours. Spot on!

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks Debbie!

13. Michelle August 11, 2014 at 11:55 am #

I love this look and you are totally rocking it. That top pairs so perfectly with your skirt (and I WANT that skirt). Question: did you change the neckline of the Sorbetto? It looks like you did, and I like whatever it was that you did with it.

• Jenny August 11, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

Yes I did change the neckline – scooped it down pretty dramatically πŸ™‚ I’m not even sure I should really call it a Sorbetto now after all the changes!~

14. Marjie August 11, 2014 at 4:36 pm #

Your outfit looks marvelous! There was a woman in a long black skirt and black crop top with a tramp stamp showing at the wedding we attended this weekend. That was so wrong. I wish I’d known about Sally Hansen because my pasty white legs could have used some help.

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:18 am #

I’d never even heard of it until my friend Laney (of Katy & Laney fame!) used it for her leggy photoshoot recently πŸ™‚

15. Janet August 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

You look soooooo beautiful. The colours are gorgeous the crop top looks amazing on you!

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Aw, thanks!

16. Natalie August 12, 2014 at 4:36 am #

I have to say that when I read the first few lines in my email from bloglovin, I wasn’t sure about a cropped top (I don’t love them on anyone.) But then I clicked over and hello… gorgeous! You look smashing in this combo and your tummy looks fabulous. I laughed out loud at “let’s just thank Sally Hansen and move swiftly on.” Thanks for the great read and well done on the flattering top!

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Thanks Natalie! I wasn’t convinced by the concept either, but I’m surprised by how well it worked out!

17. lisa g. August 12, 2014 at 6:04 am #

ah yes, sally hensen is great in a pinch! this ensemble looks fab! the proportions look just right on you, and the tummy sliver is perfect!

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Thanks Lisa!

18. Mary Danielson August 12, 2014 at 10:05 am #

LOVE this, J. You are totally rocking the midriff! This top looks fabulous paired with your maxi skirt–so summery, but chic. Be gone, style constraints, be gone!

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Merci, dear Mary. I am contemplating wearing this to an event this evening if my courage holds…

19. pendlestitches August 13, 2014 at 6:07 am #

Hell yes! You look awesome!

20. She Dabbles August 13, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

Ooo, lady, you look fabulous! Love these proportions on you!

Also, leg makeup for the win!

Xx
    C

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Why thank you missy! I AM COVERING MYSELF IN LEG MAKEUP NOW

21. Cadi August 14, 2014 at 11:03 am #

You look A-MAZING in this outfit!! Just the kick in the ass I needed to push me into the crop top! I love that it’s a bit floaty and not super fitted.

Technical question about your Sorbetto Hack: when you eliminated the front pleat, did you just lay the line where you’d usually stitch in the pleat on the fold to eliminate that extra fabric? Or did you do something else? Also, is your fabric knit or a woven (so many questions, sheesh!) I ask because I am SO going home and ripping this off tonight, I just can’t stand it and need one so baaad now! πŸ™‚ Thanks Jenny!!!

• Jenny August 14, 2014 at 11:20 am #

Hey Cadi, thanks! Yes, just cut out your fabric using the “stitch” mark as the edge of the pattern piece: easy! It’s a woven, but just bear in mind it has 3 FBA-ed darts (bust, armhole, under bust) so not quite a straightforward Sorbetto

• Cadi August 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Thanks Jenny!! My Sorbetto block is fine tuned to my large bust, and your info is super helpful. Can’t wait to join the Curvy Crop Crew! πŸ˜€

22. Birgit August 22, 2014 at 3:38 am #

You look fabulous! This is going on my sewing inspiration board immediately! πŸ˜€

23. Laura August 26, 2014 at 7:41 am #

I think this looks fantastic! I’m a bit on the fence about crop tops, but I don’t have any bad feelings about this one. I also really like your mural.

I have just finished a 70s tunic beach cover up thing in croissant print African wax fabric, which left my boyfriend speechless. That’s certainly challenged a few boundaries, but I’ve surprised myself by being in love with it. I haven’t worn it out of the house yet, so I don’t know if I will be laughed at, but I will test it out on holiday this weekend!

24. tropicalthreads September 16, 2014 at 5:17 am #

Very pretty! I love how the two fabrics work together, too. I’m impressed by your courage to go beyond your fashion boundaries.

I am going beyond mine today. I was a kid in the early 80’s and I swore I’d never wear a big floofy-over-the-hips skirt. But after a few dresses of the fitted-bodice and pleated from the waist skirt style, I figured if I could handle a flairing from the hip pleated skirt.

Finished it last night, wore it to day, am totally in love with it πŸ™‚