February 16, 2015

Old dog, new tricks: McCall’s M6884 wrap dress

I’ll admit it: I’m a bit of a one-trick pony. Believe it or not, I wear wrap dresses even more than you’d guess from reading this here blog (yes! it’s true!). They really are my uniform, and usually they’re exactly the same, bar the sleeve length and fabric.
However, I thought I should step up and try something new so… here’s a *fixed* wrap dress! I decided to try out Pattern Review’s #3 most popular dress of 2014: the McCall’s M6884 dress. And let’s just say you’ll be seeing a little more… err… Cashmerette than usual:
McCall's M6884 fixed wrap dress
Yep, it’s a plunger! I usually wear my wrap dresses with a camisole because I like the look and it’s work-friendly but I thought I’d try this one without. As suspected, it’s date-night not day-at-desk.
I made it using the rest of the birdie jersey from my StyleArc Demi Drape top, which does cover up the style lines a bit in these photos. To be a bit clearer, I made view C of the technical drawing below – it’s got a ruched side and the ties meet on the side rather than going all the way around like a traditional wrap dress. There’s no waist seam, which I like, and the length is fairly short (I’m 5’6″) – I would potentially lengthen it by an inch or two next time.
McCall's M6884 fixed wrap dress
It was pretty easy to make, although I did do a different process than the instructions. They suggest going back and forth between hemming and finishing the edges and constructing seams, but because I use a convertible serger and coverstitch I wanted to batch the tasks together. So first I did all the edges and hemming, and once that was done, I did all the seams.
McCall's M6884 fixed wrap dress

I like the end result, although I’m not sure I like it more than my usual heavily hacked Christine JonsonΒ wrap dresses. Still, good to have some variety!

McCall's M6884 fixed wrap dress

Have you made this dress, or any of the other Pattern Review top patterns of 2014? Would you add any more to their list?

Want to get the best curvy sewing and body positivity news delivered to your inbox? Then sign up for the Cashmerette newsletter here!

This MailChimp shortcode is now deprecated. Please insert the new shortcode to display this form.

55 Responses to Old dog, new tricks: McCall’s M6884 wrap dress

1. Linda February 16, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

Nice dress, very much a date night not desk day dress.

• Linda February 16, 2015 at 4:52 pm #

I forgot I made one of the 2014 Best Patterns, #1 and made the McCall’s knit dress that got hnorable mention.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

Indeed so!!

2. knitmachinequeen (KMQ) February 16, 2015 at 5:01 pm #

I’m making pattern alterations on McCalls 6163 and am trying to avoid showing too much cleavage.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

Same problems for the busty among us!

3. Mrs. Smith February 16, 2015 at 5:03 pm #

I did make this dress, straight from the envelope, and it was much more vavavoom than I was bargaining for! πŸ™‚

But I envision the sleeveless maxi length as a sexy vacation dress. I have a perfect ITY knit for it.

This looks amazing on you. So flattering (teeheehee–ok, I’m a silly one. I admit!). Seriously, it looks great and it is nice to have a little variety and it’s nice that this is a faux wrap so no risk of malfunctions.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

Ah, so I’m not the only one. The sleeveless maxi one looks lovely, though I read on Pattern Review that some people found it restrictive to walk in, so probably best to muslin first.

4. olaf78 February 16, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

Um. This is super sexy on you. Uh huh.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:37 pm #

Um. Thanks.

5. Jo February 16, 2015 at 5:50 pm #

Handled with humour, as usual!

Apart from the slightly daring neckline, I can’t see any problem with wearing this to the office. Many wrap dresses (shop-bought or handmade) are revealing without the extra layer of a cami. The DVF classic style is pretty striking in that respect.

I always wear a cami or full slip with dresses, but I have worked in some very conservative places and cautious outfit choice becomes a habit. I made my first two wrap dresses, this year (Vogue 8379) and was surprised to see the wrap completely covered the cami and stayed in place all day. I recommend that to people who like a higher crossover on the wrap. It wasn’t a top item on PatternReview this year but I think it has been, in the past. I haven’t tried making a faux wrap, yet. This pattern is one of those on my wish list although I’m starting to wonder how many dresses I really need and whether to make umpteen more wrap dresses now that I’ve found a pattern I like!

Of the PR top items for 2014, I’ve made the Lady Skater dress. My first knit, and the first dress I made. (And the second and third.) Very good for beginners because it has step-by-step photos. I recommend it for anyone new to knit fabrics, as a confidence-boosting project.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:37 pm #

Yes, I think it’s somewhat inevitable that I need a cami until someone starts drafting for an H cup πŸ™‚ I haven’t tried the Lady Skater, but I’ve seen a lot of great ones on other people.

• Deepika March 17, 2015 at 11:52 am #

Jenny, this dress looks fabulous on you. Since you’re the queen of Wrap dresses, I though I’d mention the Wrap Dress Project on PatternReview. Catina just posted two beta sizes if you want to test it out. She also posted super helpful FBA instructions. http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/89073

• Jenny Rushmore March 17, 2015 at 4:55 pm #

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I don’t fit in the beta sizes but I’ll be sure to keep a look out when it launches

6. Meg February 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

Wow, this looks pretty amazing on you! I was considering buying it after seeing it on the PR top ten list, too.

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks Meg! I think it would look smashing on you too.

7. Sophie-Lee February 16, 2015 at 6:16 pm #

I will admit my envy, as somehing that looks so va-va-voom on you would look very ho-hum on me! You look gorgeous, and I agree it’s probably a bit more date-night than work-day (but I try to cover up a bit at work – nothing worse than getting mildly lecherous comments from patiens – it has happened before!)

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks, Sophie-Lee! i’m not actually sure I’d even have the nerve to wear this on a date, but we’ll see…

8. Marta February 16, 2015 at 6:51 pm #

You look absolutely amazing in this dress! I’m going to put this pattern on my wish list πŸ˜‰

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 7:08 pm #

Thanks Marta! It’s a pretty good pattern

9. Laura (lap) February 16, 2015 at 7:24 pm #

I love how bodacious this is on you. Not just the cleavage, (which is a treat) but the fit on hips and behind is really attractive. I definitely have to examine this for a sheath dress. I can manage a boob tarp for daytime wear…

• Jenny February 16, 2015 at 8:22 pm #

Thanks, Laura! It’s definitely very…. curvy.
      And BOOB TARP!!! Love it.

10. Threadie February 16, 2015 at 10:37 pm #

I think this dress is really lovely on you !!
    I’m more a fan of Vogue 8379, but I’m thinking to try the Kate wrap dress from Style Arc.

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

I think the Kate one definitely looks interesting!

11. sewbusylizzy.com February 17, 2015 at 2:31 am #

You look a million dollars! Wraps are really your ‘thing’ and I think this one is particularly fabulous.
    I nearly made this but made Butterick 6054 at the last minute as it was a true wrap – although if you try that one just know there is a WAD of pleats at the waist which is very hard to sew through!

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks! I don’t love waist pleats on wrap dresses so I’ll probably give that one a miss, but I’m sure they look great on others.

12. Bunny February 17, 2015 at 6:51 am #

This looks awesome on you. Yup, you’d have my workplace talking but the plunge is very attractive and perfect for date night. I like the length and you rock it so don’t worry about it being too short.

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks Bunny!

13. oona balloona February 17, 2015 at 8:16 am #

GORGEOUS!!!! though i know it must be a hassle too, it must be fun to have cleavage…;)

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm #

SO DAMN HARD.

14. tanyamaile February 17, 2015 at 8:45 am #

Yep, that’s your sexy date night dress!! Vavavoom!! πŸ˜‰

I just love that fabric and that pattern looks awesome. I can see why it’s a winner. Make more!!

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm #

Now I just need to find myself a date πŸ™‚

15. puu February 17, 2015 at 9:17 am #

i think you look wonderful!! just to show the differences in taste, not only do i think that dress is fabulous and flattering…i would totally wear it to work. different strokes, right? wherever you wear it, wear it with pride!

• Jenny February 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm #

Ha, well if you workedin a tech firm with lots of teenage boys you might feel a little differently πŸ™‚ But I am wearing it to work today, with a cami!

16. originalbyellie February 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

I love it – you really are inspiring me to add a knit wrap dress on my to sew list. (by the way, your demi drape top also made it onto my pintrest inspiration board after lurking in my subconscious for a few days- I am just waiting to see if I am inspired by any of next months new Style Arc patterns before I order)

If you are interested in trying a woven wrap dress I have had success with New Look 6674 – as it has both a waist and bust dart it can accommodate a RFBA – I am a GG cup, so I understand the issues.

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:29 am #

You should do it! I live in knit wrap dresses πŸ™‚

17. Tiffany February 17, 2015 at 3:35 pm #

You look gorgeous!

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Tiffany!

18. Villain Extraordinaire February 17, 2015 at 5:13 pm #

Love love love

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:29 am #

Love YOU Mrs Extraordinaire

19. V February 17, 2015 at 9:17 pm #

First, that looks absolutely amazing on you! I’ve been lusting after your collection of wraps for quite a while, to the point where I even bought some navy polka dot ITY with the intent of making a wrap dress out of it. Notice the word “intent” there? Knit wrap dresses appear to be my bogey monster. Did you see that McCall’s is doing a wrap dress sew-along? I immediately thought of you when I read about it. πŸ˜€

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:30 am #

You should definitely hunker down and make it- you’ll never look back! I did see that sewalong – I did my own on the Curvy Sewing Collective a while back πŸ™‚

• V February 19, 2015 at 4:45 pm #

I broke down and bought two wrap dress patterns, the lovely one you made up here (talk about serious intimidation right up front!) and Butterick 5030. I just have to decide which one to make first…and finish up my denim skirt.

20. Mary Danielson February 18, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

Holy moly, Jenny. This dress looks so smoking hot on you! I can see how it’s not exactly work appropriate without a camisole, but that’s one heck of a date night dress. Love it. You are truly the queen of fabulous wrap dresses!

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:30 am #

Why thank you! *regal wave*

21. lynbromley February 19, 2015 at 1:19 am #

Love the style. I’m a big wrap dress wearer too and have just gone back to sewing and have already made up two of the Vogue DvF wrap dresses. I have just been given a copy of a fixed wrap dress – New Look K6123, so will let you know how I get on with that. I love your dress – it looks fab on you and great for a date night!

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:31 am #

Oh i’m so jealous that you have the original pattern! I’ve looked for it but not found it – though I’d be pretty outside the size range anyway.

22. Sylvie February 19, 2015 at 5:19 pm #

I love how the ties meet at the side! It gives a nice swoopy ruching look to it. Hot stuff!

• Jenny February 19, 2015 at 8:10 pm #

Yes it’s a nice feature of the pattern, and thanks!

23. Leah (Is It Really Sew Strange?) February 22, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

You beautiful! Great job! I’m so glad you posted about this pattern because I was thinking about making it- and now I definitely will.

24. McCall Pattern March 5, 2015 at 10:54 am #

Wonderful job! Love that print too.

25. Val April 15, 2015 at 6:37 am #

Love this wrap dress on you very flattering. Nice fabric too.

26. Hannah Swain July 17, 2015 at 7:59 am #

That looks gorgeous! πŸ™‚ Did you need to do a FBA on it?

27. Katie July 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm #

This looks great! I have some striped fabric that feels perfect for this cut…

How is the sizing on this pattern? I work mostly with Burda patterns, so I’m fairly aware of what alterations I need there – usually a little more room in the hips and bust and sometimes adjustment of the bodice length because I’m short. Did you have to adapt it much?

28. jenonlife January 17, 2017 at 5:28 am #

This pattern looks fabulous on you! I have a similar shape body (although I am 5’10”) and I was wondering if you had an tips on how to make the bust a little less ‘voluptuous’ I have made wrap dresses before and just made the bust part larger but it has always gaped. Any tips would be great!

1. Curvy Sewn: Your Creations for February - March 20, 2015

[…] Words; Made by Rae Washi dress by Art Bella; Style Arc Jessica dress by Busy Lizzie; McCalls 6884 by Cashmerette; McCall’s 6713 by G […]