May 16, 2016

4 Genius T-Shirt Pattern Hacks

One of the great things about t-shirt patterns like the Concord T-Shirt are that they’re totally hackable! If you’re a beginner, you can quickly and easily discover how fantastic it is to be able to adapt patterns to create exactly what you want – and if you’re a bit more advanced, they can be a great palate cleanser (I’ve been sewing with chiffon recently… yeah.). I already shared my Concord T-Shirt Dress hack, and today I’m going to share four more fantastic t-shirt pattern hacks from my pattern testers and friends!

1. T-Shirt ruffle dress

Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow re-invented her t-shirt into a 90s inspired ruffle dress with just a few gathered rectangles! Check out her post – and awesome posing.

TShirtPatternHack1

2. Bow-back t-shirt

Steffi of 81 gradnord wrote a tutorial on how to make this really cute bow-back hack for the Concord T-Shirt (which would also work with other patterns). There are so many possibilities when you start thinking about ribbon types, colours, lengths…. I’m going to have to whip a few of these up for summer.

Cashmerette Concord T-Shirt

Cashmerette Concord T-Shirt

3. Sheer back yoke t-shirt

Steffi’s at it again with another t-shirt pattern hack! This time, she cut the back piece into two to create a yoke, and used chiffon on the bias for the top part. I love this! You could also use stretch lace, or a contrasting jersey.

Concord T-Shirt Pattern Hack

4. Patchwork back t-shirt

I met Mariska at Craftcation 2016, and was immediately transfixed with her t-shirt… what a beauty! Mariska hand-sewed the hexie quilt pieces together (here’s a tutorial on how to do that), and then sewed around the edge of the patchwork to attach it to the t-shirt. Simple and oh-so-impactful.

TShirtPatternHack4

Are you inspired to do some t-shirt pattern hacks of your own? Do you have other creative ways you’ve adapted t-shirt patterns? I’d love to see them!

Four great t-shirt pattern hacks that anyone can make!

6 Responses to 4 Genius T-Shirt Pattern Hacks

1. Carolyn Norman May 16, 2016 at 8:46 am #

These are awesome! Thanks for sharing them! I especially love the sheer back version.

2. PsychicKathleen May 16, 2016 at 11:40 am #

Love what Mariska did with her “patchwork quilt” hack 🙂 Beautiful 🙂 I still have yet to get to my Concord but it’s up next!

3. Janet May 16, 2016 at 2:19 pm #

I love the sheer back version too. Tempted to try some of these – along with a ruched lower side seam and a contrasting yoke.

4. mratzel May 18, 2016 at 5:04 pm #

I would love to try this pattern (just getting back into sewing and I’m more than a little rusty). What keeps stopping me is the wide neckline. Because I’m a petite plus, the wide neck on these patterns keep me back. If I sew them as is, my bra shows on both sides and/or is slips off one shoulder. But I need the width through the bust, tummy and hips.
    What’s a girl to do? A girl that doesn’t really know much about how to modify the pattern but is hopeful that she can learn.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Jenny Rushmore May 19, 2016 at 11:03 am #

Hi! You can definitely make the neckline less wide – it’s literally just a case of drawing that onto your front and back pattern pieces in a smooth curve (you’ll need to add a little more paper underneath the pattern, then draw it on). You’ll then need to create a new neckband piece – just measure the final length of your neckline, and multiply that by 85% and that’s the new length (you can use the existing neckband piece for width). Hope that helps!

5. Shelly Moon July 8, 2017 at 11:17 pm #

I have hacked a few t-shirts lately using lace. One shirt I purchased online was way too tight in the arms. So I slashed them open and put in a band of black lace. Then I trimmed off the hems and necklines with a coordinated skinnier lace. Another t-shirt didn’t fit right around my hips. So I opened the side seam and inserted a triangle bridal motif I picked up at an outlet store on each side. It looks fabulous. I get lots of compliments on both shirts. I like the ideas you shared here, especially the hexie triangle!