I love this pattern. I made it in navy twill linen, lined with silk from an old sleeping bag liner, and it turned out beautifully. The instructions are clear and thorough. I was looking for a big project, and boy did I get it. There are LOTS of steps. My one suggesion is that psychologically it's tough to start with a bound buttonhole and welt pockets. They're tricky, especially the pockets. I reckon it's better to sew a few big seams first to get into the groove (e.g. start with the sleeves). I will definitely make this pattern again, but I need some recovery time first!
Perfect accomplishment of narrow shoulders (think size 8) to generous bust (think size 14-16). Wonderful
It's awesome to get a pattern that only needs minor tweaks for an amazing fit (usually it's easier draft up a pattern on my personal block with other designers).
I made the back darts have a little more dart value rather than a sway back adjustment and graded from a 12 shoulders, 14 waist and through to 18 hips
I freestyled mostly but the instructions I did read were nice and clear (even if I still didn't follow them) and you can tell it was drafted with a lot of consideration for getting a quality finish.
Awesome pattern! Very few fitting adjustments were required!
I originally ordered the Auburn Blazer pattern in Dec. 2021 because my niece wanted a denim jacket and this was the closest pattern I could find that was designed for curves (in Cashmerette patterns, she's a 14 c/d in the upper body, a 16 waist and 14 hips). I made a muslin with the regular sleeves which were too tight, so we knew we would use the full bicep sleeves in the final version. I then moved things around and cropped the pattern to the length she wanted. The final version was completed in early March, 2022.
Then in early January, her younger sister asked if I had a black blazer she could use for Model UN, starting 2/3. I proceeded to have her try on the muslin (with the full bicep sleeves) from her sister's which worked perfectly. Tonight she came to pick up the finished blazer.
I have been very impressed with your detailed instructions and illustrations. I love the "tailoring tips" you include for those who either have more experience or want to make use of your added resources to add things like bound buttonholes (when I've made men's jackets using patterns from one of the big companies, I've had to remember on my own to add in the bound buttonholes).
The Auburn blazer was a delight to make! The instructions were thorough and clear, with enough illustrations to help navigate through difficult steps. The pattern is well sized with room enough to wear a heavy layer under the blazer- no need to size up. Not only was this my first Cashmerette purchase, but it was also my first print at home pattern and it was easy to print out only the size I needed and then tape together the pattern pieces. Due to Cashmerette’s sizing, I had very few adjustments to make. I will make this again soon, as I have had numerous remarks on my lovely new blazer, but I will opt to make a welt buttonhole, versus the standard buttonhole I did on this blazer. As a side note, I used a heavy cotton fabric for the body of the jacket, but still lighter weight and less structure than wool. (Sometimes you see a fabric and you know you just gotta make that a part of your wardrobe!) Because of that I actually used knit interfacing on the back pieces to add stability, yet maintain a horizontal stretch- if that makes sense. I made the bias tape trim from the same cotton as the pocket linings. One thing to note, for those who haven’t done many linings is that when you see the back facing and front facing together at the shoulders the bias tape will not line up. I thought I’d made a mistake (I haven’t lined a blazer in many years) but upon reflection (and rereading the instructions) this is correct, as if they lined up the bulk on the shoulder would be a very noticeable hump.
This pattern will be used again and there will be more Cashmerette pattern purchases in the future!