I’ve always struggled to find tank tops that fit and don’t cling in all the wrong places. Enter the Saybrook! A fast sew with a super easy and elegant binding, and it fits! My first one was wearable right off the table (go with the pattern measurements to pick a size, not your bra/dress size). The only adjustment I made to future tanks was to extend the strap very slightly as I found the edge of my strap was visible sometimes (I have sloped shoulders). I hacked it into a dress (using the cashmerette Pembroke pattern) and I’ve been wearing them nonstop all summer.
I'm using the Saybrook Tank with the Fuller Cardigan to make matching Twin Sets! Fun stuff!
I was disappointed in the fit. the armhole was too high in the underarm and the overall fit was to snug. this might be fine for a young woman but I am not and prefer even my tank tops to be figure skimming not figure hugging. I followed the site recommendations for size based on my measurements.
Thank you so much for creating a really nice, well-fitting tank top. No gaping at the armhole (finally!!). I made it in a super stretchy fabric and one less so, both worked but of course the less stretchy fabric got me a tighter fit. Tried both the knot option and the hip length version. I tried the version just straight from the pattern, and it fits wonderfully (though grading between sizes as I'm a 14 at the top and 18-20 at the bottom). It's very very nice to have staple items that actually fit the way they're supposed to.
Next time (yes there will be a next time! Time fo fill my wardrobe for sure!) I'll do my standard changes for sway back and lowering the neckline just an inch or so, but I do that on all patterns so it's easy enough.
Once again, overall, this is just so nice. Did I mention the armholes. I believe I did, but time again: no more showing bra involuntarily and I love it!
The Saybrook tank pattern was a quick and easy pattern to put together, and the fit was quite good with one muslin. The 2nd muslin was totally wearable after applying the changes necessary from the 1st muslin. Changes necessary: raised the armscye to keep my bra from showing under the arm. I also moved the shoulder seam to the back about 1/2", and widened the strap by about 1 inch (2.5 cm). Voila! Perfect fit, and made 2 more. The binding at the armscye and neck edge was simple to sew. I made them at the end of our summer season, so as winter comes to a close in 2021, I plan to make several more. I really enjoyed making them!