Upton Dress & Skirt Plus Mix & Match Expansion Pack
I made my dress for my daughter's wedding, and made her sister's dress (maid of honor) for the wedding. Her dress had flutter sleeves and a gathered skirt with pockets. Mine was a gored skirt with pockets, a v-neck front and back, with short sleeves. The adjustments I made were really easy with help from the blog posts. When making the muslins, I ended up making my daughter a top too. Received many compliments. Thanks Cashmerette.
This is the first dress I've ever sewn. After seeing the blog, I was inspired to may my own German Dirndl for Oktoberfest. I appreciate how easy it was to do especially with the step by step guide. With that being said I did have a few hurdles like my bust being smaller than my waist and the zipper instructions/pictures were a bit unclear. While the Cashmerette site offered some additional instructions with these, they were still challenging to process. None the less, it turned out pretty swell and look forward to testing out another pattern soon!
I LOVE the Upton. I used it for years sleeveless and even created my own princess seams. I was looking forward to getting the sleeved version; however, it doesn't seem to work for me. I like short sleeves and there is quite a gap in the arm holes. I need to figure out how to adjust to make it work better.
I have been definitely getting my money worth on this pattern! Months ago I was looking for a mother of the bride pattern. One of my Facebook groups recommended the Upton. I took a look and fell in love with the options. I gathered tons of fabric for a tester dress and then others. I started with material that I has stashed at home to test out the bodice. It worked so I moved forward. I made a green dress for our family pre-wedding dinner. I made a double layer skirt to be extra flowy. I settled on princess seams and pleated skirts for all of the dresses. For the same event, I made the bride a red and gold dress. She wanted some shimmer and sheer, detailing at the waist and cute decorative buttons. My dress for the wedding was tea length with great fitted sleeves. Late in the game my younger daughter's dress for the wedding didn't pan out so luckily I had enough material from my dress and the bow ties (husband and two sons) to make her one too. I goofed on cutting the front bodice so I made some adjustments to the back bodice to slim the straps and go v back which was not the original plan but worked out even better for a 17 year old. This was my first jump back into apparel in more than 25 years. I had only made one dress before with my Nana at my shoulder. Between the great print instructions and the wealth of you tube videos things worked out great. An extra bonus is of course the deep pockets. By the end of the wedding night I had the bride's bracelet, as well as the groom's boutenir and bow tie in one if my pockets and no one could tell.
Really lovely pattern. Easy to follow instructions and grading between sizes using the size calculator on the website resulted in a good fit - I did have to lower the bustline. I used the princess seams and gored skirt to make this sample from rather a dull wool fabric and added a few embellishments to it jazz up for a corporate look. It probably needs a bright coloured Fuller Cardigan! I am already planning another one.