Upton Dress Sleeve Expansion
Add sleeves to your Upton Dress, the most versatile pattern in your stash! This gorgeous fit-and-flare dress is tailored to your curves with flattering necklines, a fully lined bodice, and hidden pockets. Even better, the design is in your hands, as you choose from a scooped or V-neck, high or low back, and a gored skirt or deep, dramatic box-pleats. With this expansion, you can add three sleeve options: a dramatic flutter sleeve, a faced tie sleeve, or a simple cap sleeve. Let your creativity shine, while the Upton takes you from brunch to cocktails in style!
IMPORTANT NOTE: This pattern comes into three formats. Please choose from the dropdown menu above.
- UPTON DRESS PDF PATTERN + SLEEVE EXPANSION: This contains both the Upton Dress (#1101) PDF pattern and the Sleeve Expansion Pack PDF. Purchase this version if you do not already own the Upton Dress pattern and want all PDF's.
- EXPANSION PACK: This is an add-on pack to the Upton Dress (#1101), containing the additional pattern pieces required to add sleeves. Purchase this version if you already own the Upton Dress pattern.
- UPTON DRESS PRINTED PATTERN + SLEEVE EXPANSION: This contains both the Upton Dress (#1101) printed pattern and the Sleeve Expansion Pack PDF. Purchase this version if you do not already own the Upton Dress pattern and want a printed version of the Upton Dress pattern.
With all options, you'll receive a downloadable PDF copy of the Sleeve Expansion, containing all sizes.
SEWING LEVEL: Advanced Beginner
SIZING: 12 to 28, in three cup sizes (C/D, E/F, G/H).
- Main Fabric: Woven fabric such as cotton, linen, double gauze or upholstery fabric. Heavier fabrics will give a more structured look.
- Lining Fabric: Lightweight woven such as cotton lawn, rayon bemberg or silk crepe de chine.
- Flutter Sleeve: Lightweight wovens with a lot of drape, such as rayon or silk.
- Tie Sleeve: Light- to mid-weight wovens such as cotton or linen.
- Cap Sleeve: Woven fabric such as cotton, linen, or double gauze.
NOTIONS: Universal needle, thread, 22" invisible zipper, fusible interfacing (optional, if you're using a lightweight fabric).
The Dress Pattern PDF comes in three files (one for each bust size), so you only need to print your size. For the Sleeve Expansion PDF, see below for which pages to print for each cup size. You'll receive files to print at home or at a copy shop. Files are delivered as a .zip file which can be downloaded on a computer, but not on a mobile device. For more on PDFs, see the FAQs.
- Expansion Pack: 12 pages (3.7 MB)
- Dress Pattern: 15 pages (4.8 MB)
Pattern pieces (for each cup size):
- Expansion Pack:
- Flutter Sleeve: 16 pages (0.3 MB); C/D and E/F cup, print p. 1 - 8; G/H cup, print p. 9 - 16
- Tie Sleeve: 12 pages (0.25 MB); C/D and E/F cup, print p. 1 - 8; G/H cup, print p. 5 - 12
- Cap Sleeve: 3 pages (0.1 MB), all cup sizes print all pages
- Dress Pattern: 70 pages (0.9 MB each)
Copy shop, Dress Pattern only (A0 or US 36" x 48" size): 4 pages for A0, 4 pages for US (0.8 MB each)
Love it ....
I found the instructions quite straightforward and fun to put together. I made the first Upton with the lining but as I am in Australia, I left it out for the second dress and used me-made facing for the neckline and bias tape for the arm openings. The fit is just as good. The extension will go nicely on my next dress
So glad this add on arrived. I made the tie sleeves and they look great
I absolutely LOVE this pattern. It's very versatile and easy to hack into a variety of looks. My first time sewing up the Upton I lengthened the skirt of View B around 12inches to have the dress extend to flow length. I used a fabulous brocade and decorated the waistband with jewels, it turned out perfect and I received so many compliments. It was my first time ever doing a lined bodice and zipper, so I was a little confused, but thankfully the pattern instructions were really clear on what to do. I would highly recommend this pattern as an easy dress up or dress down look. Up next for me is the Upton Skirt hack Jenny talked about on her blog.